09 February 2013

Sweet Potato and Corn Soup for a Blustery Winter Day


Yesterday, we had about 20 cm of snow. It felt a bit more than that, especially since it was dropping at a pretty fast rate. After shovelling the backyard porch area, the front yard, and then the neighbour's front yard, I felt a bit chilled and cramped, and mighty hungry!

My dad used to cook this awesome corn soup with egg and imitation crab (I know, imitation-anything doesn't sound as good as its real counterpart, but when you're a kid, you pretty much shovel down anything that tastes even a smidgin' good -- not that my dad's soup was bad, mind you :D).

He hasn't cooked that in a while, probably because he mixed in chicken noodle soup with the corn, and since I'm now officially gluten-intolerant, my family has made a lot of sacrifices (thanks pops and co!) in order to make me feel welcomed at the food table. As an ode to corn soups of the past, I thought I'd try my hand at making one that hopefully has the same flavour profile as the one my dad used to cook. Here are the ingredients I used:
___________________________________________
1 large onion, chopped into small pieces
1/2 of one whole garlic, chopped and diced
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 cup of water
2 cans of whole kernel corn, or sweet corn
1 tsp garlic salt
2.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 baked sweet potato, mashed
1/2 or 1 cup of chopped fresh parsley
___________________________________________

I actually used sweet corn, which is a mixture of water, corn bits, sugar, and modified starch. The soup was delicious, and my family basically inhaled the soup when they got home from a gruelling drive through the snow. BUT, I have to try it with whole kernel corn instead of sweet corn, because I don't know how much sugar is actually in the sweet corn, and I'm not fond of modified starch, or modified ingredients in general.

Regardless, it was a good soup, and you know what, I think it tasted pretty close to what my dad used to make, surprisingly. Maybe I'm just not remembering the soup correctly. Or maybe my mind just wants to believe that I can emulate my dad's mad cooking skills :p Heh heh.

When I make this again with just plain whole kernel corn, I'll let you know how it goes. Or, try it for yourself!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...