01 February 2010

Mizufuusen by Fujita Maiko

Fujita MaikoMizufuusen is my newest obsession. I can't stop listening to it. As an exercise in language, I thought I might try my hand at translating it, little by little. The difficulty with this is that unless I can see the actual kanji used, I can only guess at what the romanized lyrics mean. Basically, I'm not really translating so much as casting images of what the words could mean. One day I'll actually translate using long-forgotten grammar @~@
Well, here goes:

Narannda ringo ame anata to aruku michi
(I) walk with you in the rain along a street full of apple trees all lined up

"Narannda" is probably a derivative of the verb ならぶ, which means "to line up, to stand in a line"

Kimochi hayaru youni hibiki wataru taiko no oto
In order to be in high spirits, the sound of drums reverberate across

"kimochi" = mood or feeling
"hayaru" = to be in high spirits; to be impatient; to be hotblooded; to be rash; to be impetuous
"youni" = in order to
"hibiki" = echo; sound; reverberation; noise
"wataru" = to cross over; to go across
"taiko no oto" = sound of drums


Sururi to Mizufuusen Yubi wo Surinuketa
Smoothly and the water balloon slips through my fingers

"sururi" = with a smooth, unhindered motion; speedily and without delay (adverb)
"mizufuusen" = water balloon
"yubi" = finger
"surinuketa" is a derivative of すりぬける, which means "to slip through; to make one's way through quickly"


Jimen de yabure haneta mizu yukata no suso nurasu
It breaks on the ground, splatters and dampens the hem of my yukata

"jimen" = ground; earth's surface
"yabure" is a derivative of やぶる, which means "to tear; to violate; to defeat; to smash; to destroy; to break"
"haneta" is a derivative of はねる, which could mean "to splash; to splatter"
"yukata" = light, cotton kimono
"suso" = cuff or hem
"nurasu" = to wet; to soak; to dip


Well, that's it for now. Very rough work yet, but I'll come back and make it better :) For now, おやすみなさい!!

Words looked up in Denshi Jisho
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...